What Is Hysteroscopy
Hysteroscopy is the inspection of the uterine cavity by endoscopy with access through the cervix. It involves the passage of a telescope through the vagina and cervix into the uterine cavity. It is mainly used to assess the condition of the inside of the uterus
Hysteroscopy allows for the diagnosis of intrauterine pathology (diagnostic hysteroscopy) and serves as a method for surgical intervention (operative hysteroscopy).
What Procedures Can Be Performed With Hysteroscopy?
It is used by gynecologists to inspect the lining of the uterus and look for intrauterine pathology such as fibroids or polyps. For women having difficulty becoming pregnant, hysteroscopy is often performed by the doctor for the assessment of the cavity. Other uses of hysteroscopy include:
- Removal of endometrial or cervical polyps
- Removal of fibroids
- Biopsy of the endometrial lining
- Cannulation (opening) of the fallopian tubes
- Removal of intrauterine adhesions (scarring)
- Removal of a lost IUCD (intrauterine contraceptive device)
- Endometrial ablation- destruction of the uterine lining, a treatment for irregular or heavy menstrual bleeding
Prior to the procedure, your doctor might prescribe a sedative to help you to relax. You will then be prepared for anesthesia. The procedure itself takes place in the following order: The doctor will dilate (widen) the cervix to allow the hysteroscope to be inserted. The hysteroscope is inserted through the vagina and cervix into the uterus. Carbon dioxide gas or a liquid solution is then inserted into the uterus, though the hysteroscope to expand it and clear away any blood or mucus.
Next, a light is shown through the hysteroscope allowing your doctor to see the inside of the uterus and the openings of the fallopian tubes into the uterine cavity. Finally, if surgery needs to be performed, small instruments are inserted into the uterus through the hysteroscope.
Benefits of Hysteroscopy
- Quick recovery and return to function.
- Less blood loss
- Less requirement for antibiotics and analgesics
- Fewer complications like formation of adhesions
- Improved chances of pregnancy and its outcome.
At Nordica Fertility Centre, Lagos, we have state of the art hysteroscopy facility, with highly specialized medical and nursing personnel.